Here’s our review of Email Octopus in the same amount of words as tentacles on a real octopus:
Connecting small but mighty businesses with their customers.
They do this pretty damn well and at a ridiculously solid price.
Offering two versions (starter and pro), Email Octopus wields a double-edged sword for free and paid email marketing. With your first 2,500 subscribers coming in at $0, they offer many of the paid features including automated email campaigns, specialized templates, diverse integrations, and support. As your subscriber list continues to grow, your price is tailored to that list, allowing you to scale as needed, without overpaying.
If you want something that looks and tastes like a 5-star seafood spread for the price of Red Lobster, Email Octopus has you covered.
This is the Email Octopus Review everyone should read.
Stemming from a need for a cheaper, but still reliable email marketing tool, Jonathan Bull was looking for a solution that wasn’t Mailchimp. The email juggernaut had taken another victim and they needed to find a way to send more client emails without increasing dollars.
Throw together a few lines of code, paired with Amazon SES and behold, the first tentacle of Email Octopus sprouted.
Since its launch in 2014, Email Octopus has catapulted 8.8 billion emails to over 40,000 different organizations. For a small team of 7 based in London, I’d say that’s absolutely mental! Stepping out of its big brother’s shadow, Email Octopus gives you the ability to send bold and bawdy emails without belittling your bank account.
Speaking of belittling bank accounts—mine being one of them—you’re probably wondering how much this seafood dinner is going to cost you.
How Much Does Email Octopus Cost?
Email Octopus’ pricing structure is similar to that of its competitors. If you’re a big baller with tens or hundreds of thousands of subscribers, your monthly cost will fluctuate based on that number. Starting at $20/month for 5,ooo subscribers, ranging all the way to $925/month for 500,000 subscribers, the cost is based on your needs. Keep in mind they offer two versions of a paid account, either through a propriety email or Amazon Email Services known as Email Octopus Connect—which saves big money.
Check out this sweet sliding scale they made to demonstrate your monthly payments.
If you find yourself torn between the known and unknown (Email Octopus and Mailchimp) allow us to break the wishbone for you with some comparisons between the two:
- Email Octopus lets you amass 2,500 subscribers before you even drop a dime. Mailchimp only allows 2,000.
- A 200,000 subscriber list will cost you $395/month compared to Mailchimp’s $1099/month.
- Email Octopus’ basic plan offers HTML editing capability that would be costly on Mailchimp.
Depending on your size and scalability, Email Octopus holds true to its nature and remains flexible in every circumstance.
If you just rolled your eyes and thought “how many features can I really get?”, may I encourage you to pop down to the next headline.
Here are 8 features of Email Octopus.
It just felt right to find 8 features that I really liked about Email Octopus, so that’s what I did. Here they are:
- Powerful automation. Email Octopus’ email automation keeps customers engaged from the first touchpoint. It also allows you to connect via API, so you can create targeted campaigns based on customer behavior. If you want to really annoy the hell out of your subscribers, this is the tool.
- Robust design customization. Sporting 15 different templates and custom HTML capabilities, Email Octopus allows you to create diverse and bespoke email experiences for your customers. With HTML upload options, you can put your custom code into any email you send.
- Abundant integrations. With over 500 different apps, you can pick your favorite integrations and add them instantly. Yes Shopify merchants, I’m looking at you.
- In-depth analytics. Detailed reporting can be found all over Email Octopus. From open rate and click rate to unsubs and bounces, you can stay informed about your customer’s behaviors. Really, this is the easy way of telling those traitorous subscribers this is the end of your road together.
- Simplified importing. Email Octopus makes it a no-brainer when it comes to importing existing subscriber data. Adding new or existing contacts is as simple as uploading a CSV file.
- Custom forms. Growing your audience is wicked easy with Email Octopus. They created hosted and embedded forms to add to your website. Easy enough.
- Human support. Talking to robots should stay in 2019. Email Octopus provides comprehensive support via chat and email to all customers that have real people on the other end.
- Powered by Amazon AWS. As one of the most frequented cloud servers on the web, Amazon SES email holders receive unlimited emails and save stacks on their monthly bill. Plus, if you’re already selling on Amazon, you’re only integrating your operations more.
There is a lot to digest there. Take it all in. Maybe read through it a few times out loud and realize that’s an abundance of features.
Features are great, but sometimes they aren’t for everyone.
Who Email Octopus is for.
Following their slogan of making marketing easier and cheaper, Email Octopus is geared toward the small but mighty brands looking to blast inboxes. If you find yourself limited in budget and reach, this is for you. Looking to grow your email lists without much technical overhead? Yeah, this is for you too. It’s simple and intuitive and costs a hell of a lot less than Mailchimp.
Don’t think we forgot about the tragic breakup of Mailchimp and Shopify either. For all those merchants on Shopify and WooCommerce shaken by such an annulment, this might be your solution to the breakup.
Who Email Octopus is not for.
If you’re a heavy hitter, delivering 250,00 emails month and running AB test for subject lines, stay where you are big fella. This solution is limited in technical capabilities and customization.
If you’re looking to set up complex flows and rugged automation or if you thrive off segmentation, you might want to consider another option. (Though they say that segmentation is coming soon)
Email Octopus is simple, intuitive, and cheap. If you’re looking to get your hands dirty in email marketing quickly and cheaply, you should consider it a viable option.